REDZONE ELITE 7V7 OFFICIAL RULES
COVID 19 (RZE Follows All State & Local Guidelines)
Field Length will be 50 yards. 40 yard playing field with a 10 yard end zone.
Starting Each Game:
1. Coin Toss. The toss of the coin will take place within two minutes of the scheduled start time of the game. The toss will be called by the team captain (Ref's Discretion) before the coin is flipped. Winning team will begin possession of the ball on the +40 yard line with their choice of hash.
2. A whistle will begin each game.
3. Each game lasts 25 minutes with a running clock (NO overtime in pool play).
4. Official will declare when the clock is under 2 minutes
5. The clock never stops.
6. A whistle will end each game.
-If the game ends (clock expires) on a touchdown, the scoring team can still elect to go for 2 and will get 1 untimed down from the 10 yard line for the conversion attempt.
7. The referees will keep the official score and time on the field for each game.
8. Soft Helmets are recommended but NOT required at the time... Mouth pieces must be worn at all times by all players except the QB. If a player does not have a mouth piece they cannot participate until they do. Helmets must be fully fastened for every play. Players will be given one (1) warning to strap up their helmet during play. Second warning will result in the player being asked to leave the field till proper headgear and mouth guard are in use.
Moving the Ball:
1. Offense always starts on +40 yard line with their choice of the hash. After any change of possession.
-Teams must line up in a legal football formation.
-No offensive players may line up in front of the QB or within the estimated tackle box (Refs call on what that box would be, but estimate would be where each tackle would be if they were on the field)
2. All snaps at the +40 yard line must be off the QB-TEE (No Shotgun from the 40). Upon gaining a yard or more QB may take a shotgun off QB-TEE.
3. Offense has three (3) downs to gain a first down. First down markers will be at the 25, and 10 yard lines.
4. Once inside the 10 yard line, the offense has 3 downs to score a touchdown.
5. The first person to control the football off of the QB-Tee is the QB. The QB is never eligible to run. The second person to touch the ball after the QB can never pass (No Double Passes).
6. The offense may run the ball as many times as they want on any down during the game. The QB is allowed to make one exchange (All forms of runs/handoffs are legal).
7. Defensive players cannot cross the line on a run play until the quarterback hands the ball off to the RB. If he does that is considered a blitz.
8. Quarterback can NEVER run the ball.
9. The offense can choose to automatically receive 1 point, or go for 2 points from the 10-yard line. Offense chooses hash for ball placement.
10. If the GAME CLOCK expires during an offensive TD, the offense still gets to go for 2 if they declare (Untimed Down)
Coaching your Team:
1. There will be one offensive coach allowed on the field at any time.
2. The coach must be positioned behind the offensive huddle.
3. Coaches are not allowed to challenge any official ruling. Clock stays running!
4. Remaining team coaches can work from the sidelines.
5. NO defensive coaches allowed on the field, OR behind the offense in respect of the offense and their huddle!
6. Coaches will be given 1 sideline warning during play. Second warning will result in a 10 yard penalty or half the distance to the goal. Third warning will result in coaches ejection.
7. Any form of cheating qualifies for automatic team disqualification at the tournament.
(Coaches/Players/Fans on the sideline CANNOT advance past the 10 yard line. ALL must remain within the designated "coaches box" which is from the 40 yard line to the 10 yard line on each sideline)
1. NO blocking.
2. Face guarding IS allowed and is not an act of pass interference.
3. Blocking will result in a loss of down, return to previous spot.
4. Ball carrier is legally down when touched below the neck with one hand. A defender may leave his feet to make a tag. Offensive players can leave their feet as well.
5. Fumbles (Including snap) are dead balls at the spot with the last team in control retaining possession at the spot.
6. Offensive team will have 25 seconds to put the ball into play. Delay of game is a loss of down! (The play clock instantly starts at the end of every play!)
7. The offensive team is responsible for retrieving and returning the ball to the official. The clock does not stop, and any delay of the offense in retrieving and returning the ball to the official will result in delay of game.
8. Defensive pass interference will result in a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down. Defensive holding will result in a 10-yard penalty and repeat of the down (Unless the 10-yds gives a 1st down).
9. Offensive pass interference will result in -5yds from the previous spot, and a loss of the down.
10. The QB is allowed 4.0 seconds to throw the ball. Referees will stop play if 4.0 seconds are surpassed. Only when the defense blitzes will the 4.0 second clock be not in play. Meaning the QB can avoid the rush for as many seconds as needed, but he is still not allowed to run past the line of scrimmage.
11. BLITZING (Each team is allowed 1 BLITZ per game regulation or OT)
***NO BLITZING FROM THE 40!!!***
- Team's can use their BLITZ within regulation or OT (New in 2022)
- If a team does BLITZ illegally, they will be given a personal foul & penalized 15yds (Also results in forfeiture of their blitz)
12. An INTERCEPTION will result in an immediate stoppage of play and a change of possession, with the intercepting team gaining possession at the 30 yard line. If an unsportsman-like penalty is given to the intercepting team, they will be penalized 10 yards and will start from the 40-yard line instead of the 30-yard line.
13. Excessive celebration is not allowed and will not be tolerated. If a team clears the sideline to celebrate a touchdown and delay the game they will be penalized 15 yards on defense on the next opponent's offensive drive/possession . If on an extra point the team will be penalized 15 yards on defense, and the extra point will not count.
ABSOLUTLEY NO CELEBRATIONS THAT TAUNT THE OPPOSITION!!!
14. A game cannot end on a defensive penalty. If this occurs, the offense will have an untimed down if time has expired.
15. Any violence toward the quarterback or any player (i.e. blow to the head, QB Knocked down, extending both arms through a player with force etc) will be assessed as roughing the passer and given a 15-yard penalty. Offending player may be removed from the field by the ref or any RZE staff member.
16. The offense (wide receivers, TE) have to line up outside of the tackle box, and one receiver has to be on the line on each side of the QB-Tee.
Fighting will not be tolerated! If a player throws a punch, he is ejected immediately and can NOT return to the game. If players are involved in pushing or shoving they will be ejected immediately from the game and cannot return. If a team’s bench clears resulting in a fight, both of the teams are ejected, resulting in a forfeit. The referee has the right to throw out any player, players, or team out of the game. The RZE7v7 staff has the right in extreme cases to throw players and teams out of the tournament. And they will have to leave the complex immediately. A referee can also give a 15 yard unsportsman-like penalty.
OVERTIME: (NO OVERTIME IN POOL PLAY)
OVERTIME RULES IN BRACKET PLAY - ELIMINATION
1. Any game that ends in a tie will go to a tiebreaker. There will be a coin toss at the beginning of the tiebreaker with the home team (Declared by Ref) calling the toss. The winner will choose to be on either offense or defense.
2. Each team will have 2 downs from the 10 yard line with a choice of hash.
3. If the Offense scores a TD (6 points), they will then need to declare to go from the 5-yd line (1point) -OR- from the 10-yd line (2 points).
***INTERCEPTIONS IN OT***
If the Defense intercepts the Offense during overtime the play is DEAD, and the intercepting team will take possession. If the intercepting team was leading at that point, the game is over!
4. If the game is still tied after each team has had a possession from the 10 yard line...The game will then go into a second OT, if after 2 OT the game will go to the traditional "Longest Completion", with each team getting 1 play from the 40 yd-line (NO RUNS).
4A. Teams will toss the coin and the winner will declare to start on either offense or defense.
4B. Each team will get 1 attempt on offense, with the team that gets the longest completion being awarded 1 point and the overtime victory!
4C. If there is no completion, or the deepest completion is equal, the tiebreaker will be repeated with the team that lost the initial coin toss making the choice to either take offense or defense.
4D. This format will be repeated until there is a clear winner declared!!!
This tiebreaker format will be used in all Bracket/Elimination games!
SHOOT-OUT BRACKET FORMAT:
1. All teams will be seeded in the bracket based on POOL PLAY win/loss/tie record during POOL PLAY schedule.
2. All teams will play a minimum of 4 games during the event.
BRACKET WINNER WILL BE DETERMINED BY:
1. Head to head Competition.
AT LARGE TEAM WILL BE DETERMINED BY:
2. Point Differential...Total Points For minus total Points Against
3. Total Points Scored
1. Offensive touchdown 7 = points. (EXCEPTION: If a team elects to go for 2 points, attempt will be from the 10 yard line. If they score, they get 8 points, if they miss they only get 6 points.)
2. Interception = 1 point to the intercepting team.
3. Tiebreaker victory = 1 point (If determined in OT by "Longest Yard")
Offensive Penalties | Assessed | Result
False start or Illegal motion | Line of Scrimmage | Loss of Down
Delay of Game | Line of Scrimmage | Loss of Down
Blocking | Line of Scrimmage | Loss of Down
Fumbles Dead Ball (offense retains possession at the spot)
OFF Pass Interference | Line of Scrimmage | -5 yds & Loss of Down
Unnecessary Roughness | 15 Yards LOS | Loss of Down
Illegal Play | 5 Yards | Loss of Down
Un-sportsman | 15 Yards | Loss of Down
(Un-Sportsman on Offense after a TD will result on the defense then satrting on the 30 yd line when their offense takes possession!!)
Defense Penalties | Assessed | Result
Encroachment-Neutral Zone | 5 yards Repeat Down
Defensive Holding | 10 yards from previous spot & Replay Down
Pass Interference | 15 yards & 1st Down
Unnecessary Roughness | 15 Yards
Illegal Blitz | 15 yards & Loss of Blitz
Un-sportsman | 15 Yards & First Down
(Un-Sportsman after a TD or Change of Possession will result in a loss of down when the team takes possession on offense, so they will begin on 2nd down!)
Divisions | AGE Requirements
High School Division (NO 2022 Seniors)
- This division is for the Class of 2023 and under.
High School Division w/SR (2022 Seniors ALLOWED)
- This is a separate division from above and 2022 Seniors are allowed in this division.
FRESHU Division (Current Freshman)
- This division is primarily intended for High school freshman and 8th graders. NO SO/JR/SR's PERIOD.
Middle School Division
- This division is grade based and intended for current 7th & 8th graders. NO HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS. PERIOD.
12U Division | 11U Division | 10U Division | 9U Division
(Age Cutoff For These Divisions AUG 1ST 2021)
Player's birth certificate is required to participate in the 12U/11U/10U/9U age-based divisions in any of the RZE 7v7 Championship Series events.
(HS - FRU - MS divisions can use current school ID or report cards for proof of grade. DO NOT need proof of age, just grade)
Teams are required to check-in with RZE7v7 staff at least 1 hour prior to your first game . Players must provide proper documentation prior to play. Players will receive a wristband once they have been ruled eligible to play. Any player caught playing without a wristband is ineligible and the team may be forced to forfeit the game!
PLEASE HELP US KEEP OUR FIELDS CLEAN; EACH TEAM IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CLEAN UP OF WATER BOTTLES AND TRASH ON THEIR OWN SIDELINES. THANK YOU!!!